Brett Gardner and David Robertson will take more small steps toward their return in the coming days.
Gardner played in a rehab game Tuesday and experienced normal soreness today, according to Joe Girardi. He took the day off from activity but will return to the field for another rehab game Thursday, likely in Tampa.
Robertson is scheduled to throw batting practice tomorrow. If he comes away without any issue, the right-hander will pitch in a rehab game over the weekend, likely on Sunday. It hasn’t been determined where Robertson will pitch if his does pitch this weekend.
Here’s audio with more from Girardi…
• Obviously, the Yankees have a chance to move into first tonight with a win and a Baltimore loss. Girardi said he doesn’t pay too much attention to those standings, saying “I know now” when asked if he knew where the club stood entering tonight’s game.
The manager expected the AL East race to be close, but never so tight No. 1 through 5. Three games currently separate last-place Boston from first-place Tampa and Baltimore.
“I wouldn’t have guessed it would only be three games,” Girardi said.
• Here’s more on Mariano Rivera, who will have surgery on June 12.
• Here’s Rafael Soriano on Girardi saying he would stay in the closer’s role even when Robertson returns:
“I feel comfortable so far,” Soriano said. “Whatever decision he makes is fine. For me, what I want is to be winning. I want to try and do the best I can to win.”
I’ll have more from Soriano tomorrow.
• With interleague play looming, the pitchers took batting practice today. As you can imagine, they had a little extra hop in their step.
• Chad tweeted this update: Chris Dickerson and Doug Bernier were activated from the AAA disabled list.