Late lineup from the Yankees, who were waiting to find out whether Robinson Cano could play today. Just like yesterday, Cano’s going to miss a game because of a sore neck.
“It’s never easy to give Robbie a day,” Joe Girardi said. “But if you have to do it, you’re forced to do it. We’re able to win a game without him yesterday, but it’s hard not writing his name in that lineup.”
Before announcing a lineup, Girardi said he considered Cano’s neck problem to be a day-to-day situation. The Yankees believe Cano simply slept funny two nights ago, an his neck has been a little tight ever since.
“That changes everything (about the lineup) if he plays,” Girardi said before posting the lineup. “Would I be surprised if he didn’t play today? No, I wouldn’t, especially with the quick turnaround. Would I be surprised if he played, probably not. Robbie’s a tough kid. Those things are hard to predict.”
• Oddly enough, the Yankees also chose not to play Curtis Granderson today. The clubhouse is now closed, so I’m not sure whether there’s something going on with Granderson, or if he’s simply getting a day off because he’s struggling so badly.
Derek Jeter SS
Nick Swisher RF
Mark Teixeira 1B
Andruw Jones LF
Casey McGehee 3B
Russell Martin DH
Jayson Nix 2B
Ichiro Suzuki CF
Chris Stewart C
• After a few rocky starts, Ivan Nova seemed to get back on track last time out. He was terrific against Toronto over the weekend, showing an improved slider and a dominant curveball. “I thought he had both offspeed pitches, and he was able to locate his fastball better,” Girardi said. “That’s key, especially against a lineup like this where you want to keep them off balance and you want to stay out of the middle of the plate.”
• One of the few players I did see in the clubhouse today was Brett Gardner, who was in street clothes but not wearing anything over his elbow.
• Derek Lowe also arrived a few minutes before the clubhouse was closed to media. Girardi said it’s “a possibility” Lowe will be available today.
• The Yankees do know that Eric Chavez won’t be in the lineup today. Against a left-handed starter, Chavez is going to sit despite his recent hot stretch.
Associated Press photo