Just a few relatively minor notes in the middle of this offday.
• Brian Cashman says Alex Rodriguez is going to begin a rehab assignment with High-A Tampa tomorrow. He’s only been taking full batting practice for a couple of days, but obviously the Yankees want to get him back quickly.
• David Aardsma will be joining Rodriguez on the Tampa roster. He’s also scheduled to rehab with the High-A team. That suggests he has a chance of pitching for the Yankees very, very late in the season.
• The Yankees announced just a few minutes ago that they’ve extended their radio agreement with WCBS 880 through the 2013 season. John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman are expected to return to the booth.
• The Yankees extended their player development contract in Trenton, which gave Mike Ashmore a chance to ask Brian Cashman a few things about the big league club. Among other things, Cashman said Brett Gardner is not a pinch-running candidate for September and Rodriguez’s rehab will be reevaluated after the weekend.
• Also, Mark Newman says the Dellin Betances injury is not considered serious. It’s possible he’ll got the Arizona Fall League, but the Yankees haven’t settled on which pitchers they’ll send.
• Finally, the Orioles won this afternoon, meaning the Yankees division lead is down to three-games heading into this weekend’s series.