- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Off day notes: Cashman expects 11 pitchers on postseason roster
Posted By Chad Jennings On October 4, 2012 @ 9:15 pm In Notes | 215 Comments
Not much real news coming out of this off day, but general manager Brian Cashman was on The Michael Kay Show  this afternoon and said it’s likely that the team will carry 11 pitchers on its division series roster.
“I would think 11,” Cashman said. “That’s what our history is, and I think with the off day that’s probably what we would do.”
Cashman said there will be a coaches meeting tomorrow at 3:30 to iron out the details, and there has been only minimal roster discussion so far.
“It’s not going to matter who our opponent is,” Cashman said. “… I suspect we all will gravitate to the same answers.”
Cashman did indicate that Brett Gardner is a favorite to make the roster.
“I think he’s the choice to be on the roster right now,” Cashman said. “If I was on your show two weeks ago, he wouldn’t have been. I think he is now.”
Cashman said that Chris Dickerson is “a choice,” indicating he’s a possibility to make the team, and Cashman wouldn’t say one way or the other whether Andruw Jones will make it.
“I think we’ll determine that tomorrow,” he said.
• Is it time for the Yankees to extend Robinson Cano’s contract? Ken Davidoff certainly thinks so. 
• The Orioles have indicated that right-hander Jason Hammel will be the Game 1 starter  if they advance to the Division Series. The Rangers would have Matt Harrison on regular rest for that start, but I haven’t read anything saying he’s definitely the guy.
• It was announced today that pitcher Adam Warren was named a MiLB Rawlings Gold Glove Award winner for defensive excellence at his postiion. One minor league Gold Glove is given at each position, and the eligible players come from all 10 domestic full-season leagues. Warren was one of only three Triple-A players honored, and the only one chosen from the Yankees system.
• You can’t watch Mariano Rivera pitch on Sunday, but you can meet him on Saturday. The Yankees closer will be signing autographs — along with former Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde — at DICK’S Sporting Goods in West Nyack, N.Y. Rivera will be signing from 10 to 11:30 a.m. on Saturday. The store itself is at the Palisades Center, 2400 Palisades Center Drive.
• This announcement came from the YES Network today: Last night’s Red Sox-Yankees game on YES averaged 733,000 total viewers in the New York DMA, tying the network’s September 1, 2011 Red Sox-Yankees telecast as the most-viewed program on YES in over two years, since the April 4, 2010 Yankees-Red Sox telecast (2010 season opener), which averaged 1,085,000 total viewers. YES recorded last night’s numbers despite the Presidential Debate’s being carried on more than 15 networks in the New York DMA.
• The Red Sox officially fired Bobby Valentine  today. Hard to see that as much of a surprise.
• Major League Baseball announced today that it drew 74,859,268 fans in the regular season, the game’s highest attendance since 2008 and the fifth best single-season attendance in baseball history. The increase of 2 percent — a total of 1,443,909 more fans than 2011 — marks the largest year-to-year growth since 2007. It is also the second consecutive season that total attendance increased over the previous year. The Phillies led all of baseball in overall attendance (3,565,718) while the Yankees led the American League (3,542,406).
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/10/04/off-day-notes-cashman-expects-11-pitchers-on-postseason-roster/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Cashman.jpg
 on The Michael Kay Show: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=8462137
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/fb7ef02bf6adf91b1c0f6a7067005e67.jpg
 Ken Davidoff certainly thinks so.: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/pay_the_man_sBrTqkOGDTc6XZPz2wDShI
 Jason Hammel will be the Game 1 starter: http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121003&content_id=39465670&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal
 fired Bobby Valentine: http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8461424/boston-red-sox-fire-manager-bobby-valentine-one-season