- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
A few mid-day notes and links
Posted By Chad Jennings On October 30, 2012 @ 3:02 pm In Misc | 543 Comments
Just a few things floating out there and worth knowing…
• Randy Levine has said Yankee Stadium survived yesterday’s storm with minimal damage. There are some broken windows, no flooding, and the electricity is working.
• Joel Sherman offers five players the Yankees should look into this offseason: Carlos Beltran, Torii Hunter, Jeff Keppinger, A.J. Pierzynski and Scott Hairston. All five make some sense, but I tend to think Hunter is the best fit if only because he wouldn’t cost anything in terms of young players and would probably be open to a fairly short-term deal. Beltran is the best of the bunch, but if the Yankees are trying to get younger and cheaper going forward, dealing for one year of a 36-year-old with bad knees seems risky. The short-term upside is big, but such a deal would obviously depend on the cost.
• The Dodgers are reportedly willing to discuss trades for Andre Ethier. With the Yankees in obvious need of a right fielder — and with a left-handed bat fitting so well at Yankee Stadium — it’s easy to make the connection between the Dodgers and Yankees as possible trade partners. Of course, Ethier is also signed through 2017 (with a vesting option for 2018) so that’s a big-time commitment if the Yankees were to get involved. Hard to ignore the fact his splits vs. lefties are horrible.
• The Pirates outrighted three players off their roster,  including former Yankees minor leaguers Dan McCutchen (part of the Xavier Nady/Damaso Marte trade) and Eric Fryer (part of the Eric Hinske trade).
• Jim Leyland is coming back to Detroit to manage one more year. 
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/10/30/a-few-mid-day-notes-and-links/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Yankee Stadium survived yesterday’s storm : https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/263332126685028353
 five players the Yankees should look into : http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/time_to_reload_kH2Hg0WuDhiF5GmGkMAwAP
 willing to discuss trades for Andre Ethier. : https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/263109478814191616
 The Pirates outrighted three players off their roster,: https://twitter.com/BiertempfelTrib/status/263018339356532736
 back to Detroit to manage one more year.: http://www.freep.com/article/20121030/SPORTS02/121030017/Tigers-bringing-back-Jim-Leyland-coaches-2013