- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Cashman “not on the verge” of making any sort of move
Posted By Chad Jennings On November 9, 2012 @ 3:24 pm In Misc | 86 Comments
Brian Cashman has left the Hyatt Regency here in Indian Wells
“We’re not on the verge of signing anyone,” Cashman said. “At least, I don’t get the feeling from my conversations that anybody on the other side of the fence is ready to jump in on whatever I’ve discussed yet. It’s just early in the process. And I certainly hope no one is going to steal whatever I want.”
It’s more or less as expected this early in the offseason. Cashman said he’s had conversations with other GMs about trades, but there’s nothing brewing.
“Are there opportunities that we could do? Yes, definitely,” Cashman said. “But the ones presented currently, I wouldn’t recommend.”
Is it simply too early to get something done?
“I’m sure individually there might be people that are gaining momentum in their discussions,” Cashman said. “I’m not.”
A few small notes…
• The Yankees top prospects are all in the lower levels of the system, which isn’t a great situation for trade talks and Cashman said he’s not currently discussing any trades that involve any of those Mason Williams, Slade Heathcott, Gary Sanchez types. “Those guys would have interest, without a doubt, with any organization,” Cashman said. “But I’m not in dialogue regarding any of those high-end guys.”
• Cashman said he’s not surprised that none of his qualifying offers are likely to be accepted. “You never know,” he said. “You don’t know how discussions are. Our estimation was that the market would probably dictate a no.”
• Players have until 5 p.m. ET to accept or reject the qualifying offers.
• Asked specifically about Ichiro Suzuki, Cashman said there’s nothing new in conversations with Ichiro’s representatives.
• It seemed to be a pretty quiet morning for everyone here. GMs came and went and there really wasn’t much buzz in the lobby, just wrapping up another quiet set of meetings.
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/11/09/cashman-not-on-the-verge-of-making-any-sort-of-move/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share