In this line of work, winter is a strange time. Even when every conversation suggests nothing is about to break, you just never know. So when my sister said she was coming to town this weekend and wouldn’t be leaving until late Monday, there was a part of me worried that things might get busy at exactly the wrong time. Of course, today proved there was nothing to worry about. Things are awfully quiet right now, and even after what felt like a 37-hour drive to JFK, there’s just not much happening out there.
• Buster Olney reported today that Michael Pineda’s rehab is progressing, and he was seen by a doctor today.
• The Yankees are reportedly interested in Mike Napoli.  Seems like an odd target, though, considering the Yankees affection for defensive catchers and their need to keep the DH spot open for aging veterans.
• Speaking of odd targets, the Dodgers are reportedly out of the bidding for Torii Hunter.  The Dodgers never seemed like a particularly good fit for Hunter, but they do seem willing to spend.
• A target that — unfortunately for the Yankees — might make more sense is this one: The Rangers are reportedly among the teams looking into signing Russell Martin. 
• MLB Trade Rumors reports that former Yankees prospect Dan McCutchen has signed a minor league deal with the Orioles. So, of course, he’ll become a dominant setup man next season.