If I’m following all of this correctly, today’s blockbuster — should that be blockbustre? — goes a little something like this.
Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Jose Reyes, John Buck, Emilio Bonifacio and $4 million
Yunel Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, Henderson Alvarez, Justin Nicolino, Jeff Mathis, Jake Marisnick and Anthony DeSclafani
It’s going to take all of us a little bit of time to wrap heads around that one. Huge, huge trade. Significant impact in the American League East. Amazing to see a deal like that come together.
A few other notes and links from today:
• Joe Girardi finished fifth in the Manager of the Year voting. Oakland’s Bob Melvin won the award, with Buck Showalter second, Robin Ventura third and Joe Maddon fourth. Girardi got five third-place votes to finish ahead of Jim Leyland and Ron Washington, who had two third-place votes each.
• Joel Sherman notes that Rafael Soriano took a significant chance when he turned down the Yankees qualifying offer.
• Yankees prospect David Adams was named the Player of the Week in the Arizona Fall League. He hit three home runs
while batting .571.
• The Rockies have announced that they’ve hired Dante Bichette as their hitting coach. Bichette is a close friend of Girardi and the father of Yankees prospect Dante Bichette Jr.
• MLB Trade Rumors noted that today was the four-year anniversary of the Yankees trade for Nick Swisher. Has to go down as one of Brian Cashman’s best moves.
• One more starter is off the market. Scott Baker signed with the Cubs.
Associated Press photo