- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Thursday notes and links: Jeter ready for Opening Day?
Posted By Chad Jennings On November 15, 2012 @ 9:20 pm In Misc | Comments Disabled
Speaking at Yankee Stadium today, manager Joe Girardi acknowledged that Derek Jeter’s rehab from a broken ankle might take too long for Jeter to be ready for Opening Day. 
“He’s still basically non-weight-bearing, I believe,” Girardi said. “So, I really believe it might be a little push (for Jeter to be ready for the season opener). But I believe he’ll find a way to get ready for the season.”
It’s still premature to know anything one way or another. Jeter’s not all that far removed from surgery, and it’s still too early to know how quickly or how well his rehab will go.
“You have to get the full strength, and maybe you’re not able to start doing the things you normally would in January,” Girardi said. “So I think there’s a little bit of a question, but I think he’ll find a way, because he always has. That’s who he is.”
• If you missed it, Detroit’s John Lowe gave Raul Ibanez a 10th-place vote on his MVP ballot . I honestly wouldn’t have given Ibanez a 10th-place vote on an all-Yankees ballot. Both New York voters — George King and Mark Feinsand — had Jeter ahead of Robinson Cano on their ballots. So did seven other voters.
• Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is once again sleeping on the street in support of Covenant House. Speaking there, Cashman told Bruce Beck that he’s planning to stay patient in these early stages  of the offseason: “We’re going to be more patient and careful and hopefully strike when the iron is hot,” Cashman said. “… You usually have to pay a lot more if you want to move on the front end.”
• Five teams did not have a single player get a single vote on any MVP ballots: Red Sox, Royals, Indians, Astros and Rockies.
• Although the Yankees reportedly have some level of interest in Marlins pitcher Ricky Nolasco, Miami’s president has said Nolasco won’t be traded.  “I guess I would say if the phone rings and something crazy happens (Nolasco could be traded,” David Samson said. “But I would expect him to be here.’’
• The Nationals have signed former Yankees minor leaguer Ray Kruml  to a minor league deal.
• The Yankees Triple-A team has a new name, and their Double-A team’s ballpark has a new name. It’s been announced that Trenton’s ballpark is now ARM & HAMMER Park. And yes, I believe the proper spelling has all of the letters capitalized, which is a shame.
• Voices Against Brain Cancer announced that Players Association executive director Michael Weiner is the recipient of the non-profit’s 2012 Vision of Hope Award.
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/11/15/thursday-notes-and-links-jeter-ready-for-opening-day/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Jeter-4.jpg
 might take too long for Jeter to be ready for Opening Day.: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/47244/doubts-on-dereks-return
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ibanez-7.jpg
 Raul Ibanez a 10th-place vote on his MVP ballot: http://bbwaa.com/12-al-mvp/
 Cashman told Bruce Beck : https://twitter.com/BruceBeck4NY/status/269216174619897856
 stay patient in these early stages: https://twitter.com/BruceBeck4NY/status/269215782074986496
 did not have a single player get a single vote : https://twitter.com/DKnobler/status/269230158748209152
 Nolasco won’t be traded. : http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/2012/11/15/ricky-nolasco-will-pitch-for-marlins-in-2013-says-team-president/
 signed former Yankees minor leaguer Ray Kruml: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/11/minor-league-transactions-nov-6-12/
 Trenton’s ballpark is now ARM & HAMMER Park. : http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121113&content_id=40266986&vkey=pr_t567&fext=.jsp&sid=t567