A few late notes and links from here in Nashville…
• Joel Sherman reports that the Yankees have made a offer to platoon outfielder Nate Schierholtz. He would have to be paired with another outfielder, but he could fill half of the right field opening.
• No surprise that Scott Boras told a mob of reporters today that the Yankees have not had any extension conversations with Robinson Cano.
• Dan Barbarisi talked to someone close to Eric Chavez who said the desire to play close to home was a large part of Chavez’s decision to sign with the Diamondbacks. Chavez lives in Arizona.
• Back in New York, Mariano Rivera refused to say whether he’d like to play beyond 2013. But he did promise an announcement before the start of next season. “I’ll tell you in spring training,” he said. “Spring training is going to be the date.”
• Speaking of back in New York, at a charity appearance tonight, Derek Jeter once again said he expects to be ready for Opening Day.