- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Afternoon notes on the way out of Nashville
Posted By Chad Jennings On December 6, 2012 @ 3:43 pm In Misc | 312 Comments
I’m about to head for the airport, but a few quick notes before I leave:
• Interesting story from Dan Barbarisi who reports that Brian Cashman did not have the authority to make offers  here at the Winter Meetings. Hard to know whether that meant he wasn’t allowed to offer anyone, no matter what, or if he simply had to run his suggested offers by ownership before putting anything on the table. The story does seem to explain why Cashman has been so adamant about the fact he didn’t make an offer to anyone who signed elsewhere.
• I talked to one source today who said the Yankees never asked the Padres about the availability of Chase Headley. However, the source said that wasn’t an issue of not being interested, it seemed to have more to do with just how crystal clear the Padres have been about not trading their third baseman.
• In talking to a few executives outside of the Yankees organization, the trade value of Phil Hughes is significantly diminished because he’s a free agent at the end of the year, and Ivan Nova is seen as no more than a No. 4 starter. The lack of a standout upper-level pitcher — or upper-level position player for that matter — could make trades more difficult.
• In addition to the Yankees one-year, $12-million offer, Kevin Youkilis apparently also has some multi-year offers  in the range of $16-18 million. That’s according to Ken Rosenthal.
• Third baseman Jack Hannahan could choose a team today,  Jon Paul Morosi reports. Morosi does not list the Yankees are one of the teams in the mix.
• The Astros have claimed RHP Mickey Storey off waivers  from the Yankees. Storey is one of several fringe relievers the Yankees have claimed this winter.
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/12/06/afternoon-notes-on-the-way-out-of-nashville/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Brian Cashman did not have the authority to make offers: http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/12/06/yankees-manager-lacked-power-to-make-deals-with-players/
 Kevin Youkilis apparently also has some multi-year offers: https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/276702166280978432
 Jack Hannahan could choose a team today,: https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/statuses/276771418258153473
 claimed RHP Mickey Storey off waivers: https://twitter.com/astros/statuses/276772287317958656