- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Thursday notes and links: Swisher, Romine, Upton
Posted By Chad Jennings On January 3, 2013 @ 9:45 pm In Misc | 106 Comments
Another quiet day for the Yankees, but there was some Yankee-related activity in Cleveland, and my friend Jordan Bastian  passed along a Nick Swisher quote that didn’t make it into the Associated Press story.
“I had a wonderful time when I was in New York,” Swisher said. “What an honor to be there for the time that I was. We had an absolute blast, but we had to move on. To be in the situation we are now, representing the Cleveland Indians, I’m so excited. New York was an amazing time.”
I know things ended badly between Swisher in the fans, but if I had to guess, he’ll be cheered when he returns. Some are never going to forgive his comments of frustration with the fans, and some will never get past his postseason struggles, but it’s hard to deny that the guy played hard and played hurt throughout his four years with the Yankees.
• Despite the big league opening behind the plate, Brian Cashman once again told The Daily News that he expects Austin Romine to open the season in Triple-A.  “I don’t expect him to be our everyday catcher out of the gate,” Cashman said. “He always has the possibility of taking it, but realistically, if I were in prediction mode, I’d say Triple-A. But he has a chance to alter that.”
• Giancarlo Stanton’s name is in the rumor mill, which means it’s time for Justin Upton’s name to pop up again. The Diamondbacks have more outfielders than they need and could make a deal (if not Upton, maybe a smaller Jason Kubel trade). Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi — who have been outstanding this offseason — report that the Diamondbacks “continue to send mixed signals”  about whether they actually plan to trade Upton. Shortstop was a position of need for them, but they got a shortstop in the three-way Shin-Soo Choo deal.
• Former Yankees starter Javier Vazquez is considering a comeback and apparently looks pretty good in winter ball. Can’t imagine the Yankees going down that road again.
• A couple of former Yankees prospects have signed with the Reds. Jeff Marquez and Kevin Whelan each got a little bit of big league time in New York. Whelan originally came to the Yankees as part of the Gary Sheffield trade.
• In other minor league transactions,  the Indians have signed second baseman Matt Antonelli (former prospect who played briefly in the Yankees system last year), and the A’s have signed Brian Gordon (the guy who came out of nowhere to make a couple of spot starts for the Yankees in 2011).
Associated Press photo
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/01/03/thursday-notes-and-links-swisher-romine-upton/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/7521c2a7617e9600250f6a7067007d16.jpg
 Jordan Bastian: http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130103&content_id=40841674&vkey=news_cle&c_id=cle
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Romine.jpg
 he expects Austin Romine to open the season in Triple-A.: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/triple-a-yankee-prospect-romine-future-article-1.1232004
 “continue to send mixed signals”: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/arizona-diamondbacks-OF-justin-upton-still-subject-of-trade-talks-mariners-rangers-braves-010313
 looks pretty good in winter ball. : https://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo/status/286871095771009024
 A couple of former Yankees prospects have signed with the Reds. : https://twitter.com/eddymk/status/286656993375166464
 minor league transactions,: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2013/01/minor-league-transactions-dec-22-31/