- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Monday notes and links: Jeter, Pettitte and Youkilis
Posted By Chad Jennings On January 14, 2013 @ 9:13 pm In Misc | 134 Comments
A few notes and links from another quiet day.
• As part of an ESPN tribute to Martin Luther King Jr., Derek Jeter spoke about King’s legacy and impact,  and as usual, Jeter managed to come up with something classy and to the point. “I think everyone in this country, regardless of race, should be grateful for what Martin Luther King stood for,” Jeter said. In other Jeter news — just in case you missed it over the weekend – Jeter is out of his walking boot and working out at the minor league complex in Tampa. Brian Cashman said Jeter will start baseball activities later this month.
• Despite several reports, Cashman told ESPN New York that he hasn’t been told officially that Andy Pettitte is playing in the World Baseball Classic. “No team has any say over that stuff unless the player is injured,” Cashman said. “The WBC selection committee knows in advance what their eligible pool is.”
• Hitting coach Kevin Long has already started working with new third baseman Kevin Youkilis.  “We looked at old film and compared it to 2012,” Long told the New York Post. “We saw some considerable differences, mainly in his stance and it looked like the adjustments had an impact. … I think we can get him back to being an all-star caliber player.”
• The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees announced a new five-year radio deal. Donnie Collins reports that every game will be broadcast online, which is good news for those who keep a close eye — and ear — on the Triple-A club.
• Jeff Karstens has re-signed with the Pirates. The former Yankees spot starter got roughly $2.5 million.
Associated Press photo of Jeter at a Knicks game earlier this winter
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/01/14/monday-notes-and-links-jeter-pettitte-and-youkilis/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/09c79d5f1c209024240f6a706700a5b0.jpg
 Derek Jeter spoke about King’s legacy and impact,: http://espn.go.com/newyork/video/clip?id=8837771
 Jeter is out of his walking boot : http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130112&content_id=40939738&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy
 “No team has any say over that stuff unless the player is injured,” : http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/48324/report-pettitte-to-join-torre-in-wbc
 Kevin Long has already started working with new third baseman Kevin Youkilis.: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/long_rod_was_in_pain_in_august_na9Wc3hmSpjSJuoCEJiWGN
 The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees announced a new five-year radio deal. : http://blogs.thetimes-tribune.com/railriders/index.php/2013/01/14/railriders-get-five-year-radio-deal/
 Jeff Karstens has re-signed with the Pirates. : http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/pbc-blog/119498-pirates-agree-to-terms-with-karstens