- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
YES Network: “We’re doing just fine, thank you”
Posted By Chad Jennings On January 19, 2013 @ 9:07 pm In Misc | 269 Comments
I can only guess that the quote above is accurate, but if a television network could talk, I have to think that quote would have been included in this week’s press release.
Last last year, the Yankees sold part of the YES Network to News Corp. That sale, in the middle of a quiet winter for the team, thrust the Yankees television network into the news for a while. For those wondering about how the YES Network is doing, here’s the bulk of a press release sent by the Network earlier this week. This information is coming directly from YES, so take it for what it is.
The YES Network, which celebrated its 10th anniversary year in 2012, finished the 2012 broadcast year* as the most-watched regional sports network (RSN) in the country in Total Day delivery (Monday-Sunday, 6a-2a) for the 10th straight year.
YES – named as the 7th-most valuable sports business brand in the world by Forbes in October 2012 — also finished the 2012 broadcast year as the most-watched RSN in the country in Primetime delivery (Monday-Sunday, 7p-11p) for the eighth time in 10 years.
In addition, the YES Network have seen significant viewership increases in key demographics, and has also performed superbly in outer markets such as Hartford-New Haven, Binghamton, Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo. YES’ digital and social platforms also experienced tremendous growth last year.
2012 YES Network Ratings
· YES averaged 27,000 Total Day TV Households in the New York DMA in the 2012 broadcast year. By comparison, Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia was second in Total Day TV Households with an average of 17,000 (37% less than YES).
· YES’ Total Day delivery in Males 18-49 increased by 11%.
· YES averaged 68,000 Primetime TV Households in the New York DMA in the 2012 broadcast year. By comparison, Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia was second in Primetime TV Households with an average of 55,000 (19% less than YES).
· YES’ Primetime delivery increased in several key demos, including Males 18-34 (12%), Males 18-49 (16%), Males 25-54 (7%), Persons 18-34 (8%) and Persons 18-49 (10%).
2012 Yankees on YES Dominance in New York
· YES’ Yankees telecasts this past season averaged 290,000 TV Households in the New York DMA. This was 74% more than what SNY’s Mets telecasts averaged (167,000 TV Households in the New York DMA).
· Demo deliveries for Yankees games on YES increased by 11% in Men 18-49.
· YES’ Yankees pre-game shows averaged 45,000 TV Households in the New York DMA, which more than doubled SNY’s Mets pre-game show delivery (21,000). YES’ post-game shows averaged 97,000 TV Households, more than twice the delivery of SNY’s Mets post-game coverage (48,000). (YES out-delivers SNY’s post-game coverage by 102%).
· The Yankees on YES delivered more than twice the audience than the Mets on SNY in the following key demos: Men 18-49; Men 25-54; Persons 18-49; and Persons 25-54.
· 67 Yankees telecasts on YES in 2012 achieved a 4.0 or better average TV HH rating, vs. only 3 Mets telecasts on SNY.
YES Network’s Digital/Social Media Growth
· YESNetwork.com, which was named the best regional/local Web site last year by cable industry publication CableFAX Daily, saw its number of video views increase by 42% year-over-year.
· More than 432,000 people follow YES Network’s family of Twitter feeds, which include the @YESNetwork institutional feed, feeds from YES talent including Michael Kay, Paul O’Neill, Ken Singleton, Mike Fratello, John Flaherty, David Cone, Bob Lorenz, Jack Curry, Meredith Marakovits, Ryan Ruocco, Sarah Kustok, Chris Shearn, Ross Tucker, Gary Myers, Greg Anthony and Howard Cross, and feeds for specific YES Network programs. The 432,000 figure is a 260% year-over-year increase.
*2012 Broadcast Year: December 26, 2011 through December 30, 2012
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/01/19/yes-network-were-doing-just-fine-thank-you/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 sold part of the YES Network : http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2012/11/21/yes-network-sale-to-news-corp-saves-murdoch-and-steinbrenner-a-fortune-in-fees/