- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Wednesday notes and links: Kottaras, Chamberlain, Berra, Sanchez
Posted By Chad Jennings On January 23, 2013 @ 9:08 pm In Misc | Comments Disabled
Nothing earth shattering, but here are a few notes and links from today. By the way, it’s cold outside. Just an FYI.
• I tweeted earlier today that a source told me the Yankees have no interest in catcher George Kottaras, who was designated for assignment a week ago. Kottaras seemed to fit as a potential left-handed platoon player, but the Yankees seem intent on staying in house behind the plate.
• Honored at last night’s B.A.T. dinner, Joba Chamberlain said he’s still waiting to hear from Kevin Youkilis this offseason. Chamberlain reached out to Youkilis after the Yankees signed the long-time nemesis, but Chamberlain said he hasn’t heard back. “I’m bound to run into him at some point,” Chamberlain said.
• Yogi Berra was honored at last night’s dinner and spoke about his overwhelming love of baseball. “One of the greatest baseball players in history,” Berra’s son said. “And he’s no different than the guy across the street.”
• For whatever it’s worth, former GM Bob Watson told reporters that he believes the Yankees will try to get under $189-million next season but will still be willing to spend more if necessary.  “You’ve got to remember, George (Steinbrenner) had fiscal restraints this time of year,” Watson said. “But spring training, the first month or in the heat of the pennant chase, that went off.”
• Gary Sanchez was picked by MLB.com as the third-best catching prospect in baseball. Sanchez was also No. 3 last year.
• Also over at MLB.com, there’s a cool video of John Flaherty, David Cone and Larry Rothschild talking about Mariano Rivera during a charity event on Tuesday night.
• Not sure what exactly to make of this, or whether it matters, but it’s interesting: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Yankees might save less than they expected – because of certain teams increasing their own spending — by getting under the luxury tax threshold. Hard to tell how much less, and certainly hard to know whether those decreased savings will impact the Yankees decision making.
• Buster Olney picked the 2009 Yankees as the second-best infield of all time  behind the 1976 Reds. Previously, Olney picked the 1961 Yankees as having the best outfield in baseball history (Maris, Mantle and Berra) and the 1998 Yankees as having the best bullpen (Rivera, Nelson, Mendoza, Stanton, Lloyd).
• Major League Baseball officially announced that the 2015 All-Star game will be in Cincinnati. This year’s All-Star game will be at Citi Field and 2014′s will be in Minneapolis.
Associated Press photo
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/01/23/wednesday-notes-and-links/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Chamberlain-and-Girardi.jpg
 Joba Chamberlain said he’s still waiting to hear from Kevin Youkilis : http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/joba_ex_rival_youkilis_hasn_returned_PsNCln52dj46nC4m5eiIKM
 spoke about his overwhelming love of baseball. : http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130123&content_id=41110320&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy
 but will still be willing to spend more if necessary.: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ex-gm-watson-budget-won-stand-yankees-article-1.1245565
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Sanchez1.jpg
 third-best catching prospect : http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130123&content_id=41111110&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
 John Flaherty, David Cone and Larry Rothschild talking about Mariano Rivera : http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130123&content_id=41111148&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
 the Yankees might save less than they expected : http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/san-francisco-giants-buster-posey-long-term-value-not-easy-to-determine-012213
 the 2009 Yankees as the second-best infield of all time: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/olney_buster/id/8872027/big-red-machine-top-10-infields-baseball-history-mlb