- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Friday night notes and links: Pettitte, Castro, Pavano
Posted By Chad Jennings On January 25, 2013 @ 9:07 pm In Misc | 83 Comments
A few notes and links as we head into the weekend.
• I couldn’t get down to Joe Torre’s Safe at Home Foundation gala last night, so I sent my old friend Marc Carig in my place (not really, but he was there for Newsday). Torre explained that Andy Pettitte hasn’t been ruled out as a WBC pitcher,  but the Yankees aren’t sold on the idea. “They have expressed concerns because of the injuries he has had,” Torre said. “Again, that’s the most important thing, to make everybody comfortable with what’s going on.” Brian Cashman didn’t have much to say about the Pettitte decision, telling the Daily News only that Pettitte’s not currently on the Team USA roster.
• Speaking of Marc, now that he’s switched papers and beats, Andy McCullough  is jumping onto the Yankees beat for the Star-Ledger. Give him a follow on Twitter. I think you all will like him.
• Alex Rodriguez had major hip surgery earlier this month. Not sure why it’s news that Brian Cashman admitted Rodriguez could miss the entire season,  but apparently it is. As both Andrew Marchand  and Erik Boland have pointed out — trust me, those two always agree with one another — Cashman has always said it’s at least possible Rodriguez could miss the whole year.
• The Royals claimed A’s catcher George Kottaras off waivers. That means, even if the Yankees had been interested, they couldn’t have claimed him because the Royals have a higher waiver priority.
• According to Baseball America’s latest minor league transactions,  the Yankees have re-signed RHP Kelvin Castro. You might be familiar with the name because Castro spent seven seasons in the organization as a light-hitting middle infielder, but last year he was converted to the mound. No clue what sort of upside he has as a pitcher. My guess is the Yankees are still in the process of finding out for themselves.
• Buster Olney picked the 1998 Yankees as the best team of all time. 
• Not among the best of all time is Carl Pavano, who’s somehow managed to get hurt again. This time he ruptured his spleen while shoveling his driveway. No, I don’t think the Yankees would have been interested even if he were healthy.
• One player I thought the Yankees might be interested in, Yorvit Torrealba, has signed a minor league deal with the Rockies.  Not sure Torrealba would have been a legitimate upgrade over what the Yankees already have in camp, but he would have been one more veteran option at catcher.
Associated Press photo
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/01/25/friday-night-notes-and-links-pettitte-castro-pavano/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Pettitte-5.jpg
 Andy Pettitte hasn’t been ruled out as a WBC pitcher,: http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yanks-concerned-about-andy-pettitte-s-wbc-participation-torre-says-he-ll-make-call-1.4506431
 Brian Cashman didn’t have much to say about the Pettitte decision, : http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankee-gm-stand-classic-question-article-1.1247886
 Andy McCullough: https://twitter.com/McCulloughSL
 Rodriguez could miss the entire season,: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/25/yankees-gm-theres-a-chance-that-a-rod-could-miss-the-2013-season/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
 Andrew Marchand: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/48653/cashman-reiterates-a-rod-might-miss-season
 Erik Boland : https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/294941031839981568
 The Royals claimed A’s catcher George Kottaras off waivers. : http://sports.yahoo.com/news/royals-claim-c-kottaras-off-202449547--mlb.html
 minor league transactions,: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2013/01/minor-league-transactions-jan-15-20/
 1998 Yankees as the best team of all time. : http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkyankees&city=newyork&i=TWT&id=48640&w=1cjv1
 he ruptured his spleen while shoveling his driveway. : http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/free-agent-pitcher-carl-pavano-sidelined-six-to-eight-weeks-with-ruptured-spleen-012413
 Yorvit Torrealba, has signed a minor league deal with the Rockies.: https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/294665465031180288