- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Wednesday notes and links: Granderson, Jeter, Williams
Posted By Chad Jennings On February 6, 2013 @ 7:15 pm In Misc | Comments Disabled
Babe Ruth was born on this date in 1895. He went on to become a very good Major League pitcher, then some other stuff happened and all of a sudden he was the greatest baseball player ever. I wonder where he ranked on most 1914 prospect lists.
Anyway, here a few notes from today.
• Only a few hours left to place your bids in the auction to support WCBS radio engineer Carlos Silva. Go check out the very cool items and experiences available. 
• Curtis Granderson is having his college number retired at the University of Illinois-Chicago. “Curtis is a special human being that just happens to play baseball,” head coach Mike Dee said. “What continues to impress me is his selflessness, humility and his sincere commitment to help educate young people. It’s the things he does off the field that makes him Curtis Granderson.”
• Seems like a pretty quiet day at the minor league complex, although Derek Jeter did do some long toss from the outfield. As Erik Boland notes, it was the first time he’d done that in his rehab (or at least the first time since reporters started gathering to watch).
• Mason Williams told our friend Anthony McCarron that he expects to be 100 percent by Opening Day.  A shoulder injury to his non-throwing arm derailed his season last year.
• Speaking of Williams, he’s ranked second behind Gary Sanchez in Keith Law’s organizational prospect rankings. Law has the standard top four — Sanchez, Williams, Tyler Austin and Slade Heathcott (in some order) are at the top of every Yankees prospect ranking I’ve seen — but he has Jose Ramirez fifth. There’s a lot of upside in that kid’s arm.
• Pretty cool story from MLB.com about the restoration of the John T. Brush Stairway that led to the old Polo Grounds. 
Associated Press photo
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/02/06/wednesday-notes-and-links-2/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Granderson2-41.jpg
 Go check out the very cool items and experiences available.: http://yankees.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/feature.d2w/report?wl=33072944&smidx=2&sig0=sort&sig1=search&sort=term&search=CHARITY
 Curtis Granderson is having his college number retired at the University of Illinois-Chicago. : http://www.uicflames.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/010713aaa.html
 Derek Jeter did do some long toss from the outfield. : https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/299181511666696192
 he expects to be 100 percent by Opening Day.: https://twitter.com/AnthonyMcCarron/status/299206072441380864
 Keith Law’s organizational prospect rankings. : http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8914415/american-league-east-top-10-prospects-team-mlb
 the restoration of the John T. Brush Stairway that led to the old Polo Grounds.: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130205&content_id=41404846&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter