Everybody getting ready for some snow? Before the storm, here are a few notes from another quiet day. Spring training can’t get here fast enough.
• Incredibly entertaining read from Scott Cacciola, who wrote about the daily pursuit of Derek Jeter’s autograph outside of the minor league complex in Tampa. No breaking news in the story, but highly recommended just the same.
• Looking for actual news? It was pretty light today, though Larry Rothschild did tell Erik Boland that Michael Pineda is making progress and could be on a full mound next week.
• Does Russ Canzler count as an ex-Yankee? Whether he does or doesn’t, Jordan Bastian did a nice job telling the story of Canzler’s offseason, including the fact that Canzler actually got to know Travis Hafner, the player who ultimately took his spot on the Yankees roster. “He was really nice to me, really nice to the younger guys,” Canzler said. “He was kind of that calm presence that made us all feel comfortable and helped us enjoy our time.”
• Shocking: Forbes says that Alex Rodriguez is one of the 10 most disliked athletes in America.
• A minor move for a familiar name: Doug Bernier, who played a utility role for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre three of the past four years, has signed a minor league deal with the Twins. Very good defensive player.
Associated Press photo