- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Jeter: “I’ve gotten all the green lights I need”
Posted By Chad Jennings On February 11, 2013 @ 1:44 pm In Misc | 268 Comments
Derek Jeter ran on a treadmill this morning. It was his first time running since the ankle injury that forced him out of the playoffs and into surgery.
“I’ve gotten all the green lights I need,” Jeter said.
Today was more of the same for the Yankees captain, who went through his usual drills at the team’s minor league complex. He played catch in the outfield, then took ground balls on the edge of the infield grass. He has not yet started taking grounders from side to side, but he said that’s standard.
“It’s all a progression,” Jeter said. “Even if I didn’t break my ankle, there’s steps to it. This is just another step in the process that I would be doing anyway.”
He’s still expecting to be 100 percent in time for Opening Day.
I spent most of my morning at the complex, but I had to leave for today’s chat before Curtis Granderson came out to speak to reporters. Here’s what he told some of the guys who were still out there.
• Based on a conversation with Ichiro Suzuki, Granderson altered his offseason program to start hitting earlier. 
• Granderson’s contract expires at the end of this season, but he said he’s open to an extension. “I’d be a fool not to,” he said. 
• There’s been plenty of talk about the possibility of Granderson moving to left field so that Brett Gardner can takeover in center. “I’m open to it,” Granderson said.  Just my own opinion, but I can’t imagine Granderson would be happy about it — he’s always played center, and his free agent value would be higher as a center fielder — but his personality is such that I can’t imagine Granderson making it an issue. If the Yankees want him in left, my hunch is that Granderson would go there with absolutely no drama.
• Some of the other players I saw at the complex this morning: Dave Robertson, Hiroki Kuroda, Phil Hughes, David Phelps and Melky Mesa.
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/02/11/jeter-ive-gotten-all-the-green-lights-i-need/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Jeter-5.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Granderson.jpg
 Granderson altered his offseason program to start hitting earlier.: https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/301017969566285824
 “I’d be a fool not to,” he said. : https://twitter.com/AnthonyMcCarron/status/301018058431021056
 “I’m open to it,” Granderson said.: https://twitter.com/DanBarbarisi/status/301015707674636288