- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Know your limits: Hafner, Nunez, Jeter and Johnson
Posted By Chad Jennings On February 17, 2013 @ 1:43 pm In Misc | Comments Disabled
A few notes about lineup versatility…
• Because of lingering health concerns, Travis Hafner basically stopped going through any defensive drills while he was in Cleveland, and the Yankees have no plans of changing that. Joe Girardi said that Hafner is strictly a DH and won’t be tested in the field to be so much as a backup first baseman. “He’s a DH,” Girardi said.
• Eduardo Nunez will also be limited in the field. For now, the Yankees plan to stick with their idea of keeping Nunez at shortstop. Girardi said he does not expect Nunez to play any other positions this spring. “For right now,” Girardi said.
• There could still be a role for Nunez at the shortstop position. Girardi said it’s entirely possible that Derek Jeter will regularly DH against lefties this season (an easy way to give him regular rest). That could open a spot for Nunez to play regularly while only playing shortstop.
• Asked whether Nunez and Jayson Nix are the only players legitimately in the mix for a backup infield job, Girardi mentioned three other names. Corban Joseph, David Adams and Dan Johnson. Joseph and Adams are fairly obvious options, but Johnson has primarily been a first baseman and DH. “He’s played some third base,” Girardi said. Girardi compared the potential role to that of Eric Chavez.
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/02/17/know-your-limits-hafner-nunez-jeter-and-johnson/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share