- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Monday morning notes: Getting started with the full squad
Posted By Chad Jennings On February 18, 2013 @ 10:06 am In Misc | Comments Disabled
Robinson Cano and Ichiro Suzuki are each scheduled to address the media today. But before anyone settles into the press conference tent, the Yankees will go through their first full-squad workout.
The pitchers did most of their work this morning, so this afternoon is all about standard batting practice and defensive drills. The grounds crew just finished getting the infield ready, and a small crowd of fans has gathered in the seats waiting for the team to show up. I’m not in the clubhouse right now, but I assume Joe Girardi is giving his big start-of-spring-training speech.
“The message is, let’s get better,” Girardi said yesterday. “I mean, that’s the bottom line. Let’s get prepared and let’s get better. That’s what we’re here for.”
• Three pitchers threw live batting practice. Vidal Nuno (to Gary Sanchez) and Zach Nuding (to Francisco Arcia) faced Kyle Higashioka and Austin Romine. Ryan Pope (to J.R. Murphy) faced Cervelli, Chris Stewart and Bobby Wilson. The catchers had their batting practice early, so Stewart and Murphy were already in street clothes by the time I got up to the press box.
• Not sure whether it will be like this every day, but today it seems that all of the outfielders will go through drills as one big group. Insteady of the outfielders being listed individually, the day’s schedule simply told all outfielders to report to center field on Field 2 for fielding drills.
• Might be worth noting that Ronnier Mustelier is reporting with the outfielders, but Rob Segedin is with the infielders. Makes me wonder if the Yankees are planning to give Segedin the bulk of his playing time at third base this season. Might make sense given the outfield depth.
• David Adams (sidelined with a lower back injury) is not listed for defensive drills or batting practice.
• Today’s random clubhouse conversation was with Corey Black, a right-handed pitcher who was drafted just last year and already is in big league camp. This despite the fact he had Tommy John surgery in high school and didn’t pitch until college (he had TJ after a throw from the outfield completely snapped his elbow ligament). Black said the Yankees are working with him to tweak his mechanics so that he doesn’t throw across his body quite so much, and it’s taking some time to get used to that. I haven’t really seen him throw, but Black’s another guy who makes a strong first impression just talking to him in the clubhouse.
• Infield defensive assignments for today:
Greg Bird (1B), Robinson Cano (2B), Walter Ibarra (3B), Derek Jeter SS, Dan Johnson (1B), Luke Murton (1B), Jayson Nix (2B), Eduardo Nunez (SS), Rob Segedin (3B)
Cito Culver (SS), Corban Joseph (2B), Addison Maruszak (3B), Jose Pirela (2B), Kyle Roller (1B), Mark Teixeira (1B), Gil Velazquez (SS), Kevin Youkilis (3B)
• Batting practice groups:
Robinson Cano, Travis Hafner, Derek Jeter, Eduardo Nunez
Dan Johnson, Jayson Nix, Mark Teixeira, Kevin Youkilis
Brett Gardner, Curtis Granderson, Juan Rivera, Ichiro Suzuki
Matt Diaz, Melky Mesa, Ronnier Mustelier, Thomas Neal
Corban Joseph, Addison Maruszak, Luke Murton, Gil Velazquez
Zoilo Almonte, Slade Heathcott, Kyle Roller, Rob Segedin
Greg Bird, Cito Culver, Walter Ibarra, Jose Pirela
Tyler Austin, Ramon Flores, Adonis Garcia
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/02/18/monday-morning-notes-getting-started-with-the-full-squad/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/photo.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Kuroda.jpg