I’m going to try to make this quick so I can get on the road to Orlando.
• Reliever Nick Goody arrived on crutches today. In passing through the clubhouse, he said something about a car wreck. Obviously I don’t have many details, but he’s going to be shutdown for a while. He was the Yankees sixth-round pick last year, but he could move fairly quickly.
• Joe Girardi said it will probably be the end of next week that big league veteran starters get into games. Even then, some of them might throw simulated games rather than real games for their first “starts.”
• Dan Johnson will get some game action at third base today. And those of you who closely follow the Yankees minor league system will love today’s second string outfielders.
• It was fun talking to Rob Segedin about facing Mariano Rivera yesterday. Segedin actually came away amazed by Rivera’s two-seamer, which people don’t hear about very often but which Segedin said was nasty.
• Random clubhouse conversation with Monday’s starting pitcher Vidal Nuno. Just a few years ago he was released by the Indains before getting out of the lowest levels of the minor leagues. Now he’s in big league camp with the Yankees having just pitched very, very well in Double-A and in winter ball. He credits his cutter and changeup, which he said have helped his fastball become more effective.
• Today’s second string: C Austin Romine, 1B Luke Murton, 2B Jose Pirela, SS Gil Velazquez, 3B Dan Johnson, LF Ramon Flores, CF Slade Heathcott, RF Tyler Austin, DH J.R. Murphy.
• Today’s pitchers (order listed on the sheet often, but not always, indicates the order in which they’ll enter a game): Brett Marshall, Nik Turley, Mike O’Brien, Kelvin Perez, Branden Pinder, Chase Whitley, Ryan Pope, Preston Claiborne, Josh Spence, Juan Cedeno, Francisco Rondon.
AT THE YANKEES COMPLEX IN TAMPA
• Sides: Vidal Nunez (to Gary Sanchez), Boone Logan (Bobby Wilson) and Matt Tracy (Chris Stewart)
• Simulated games: Joba Chamberlain (Stewart), Zach Nuding (Sanchez), Jose Ramirez (Wilson)
• Cito Culver and Addison Maruszak will hit in the sim games. Those two will also take batting practice with the three catchers who are staying behind.
• Batting practice hitting groups:
Travis Hafner, Derek Jeter, Ichiro Suzuki, Kevin Youkilis
Brett Gardner, Curtis Granderson, Jayson Nix, Kyle Roller
Greg Bird, Ronnier Mustelier, Thomas Neal, Rob Segedin
Associated Press photo