Because the Yankees met with the MLBPA this morning, clubhouse access has been limited. I’ll try to make these notes fairly quick.
We’ll start with a quick video of Slade Heathcott taking batting practice. He’s getting his first spring start this afternoon, and the game is a good chance to get a look at him because YES Network is broadcasting.
• Phil Hughes said he’ll continue doing pool workouts “at least the next couple of days.” He’s still not sure when he’ll start throwing, but he said his back feels fine. He’s just waiting for the green light from doctors, and he’s clearly getting anxious to start throwing so that he’ll be ready for the start of the season. “Every day is a day lost,” he said.
• As expected, Kevin Youkilis is not in today’s lineup. Also as expected, he said he feels “perfectly alright.” He was told to simply take swings with a light fungo bat today. “If they let me play tomorrow, I’m totally in for playing tomorrow,” Youkilis said.
• Mark Teixeira said he’ll play tomorrow and Saturday before leaving Sunday to join Team USA for the World Baseball Classic.
• J.R. Murphy had a big game yesterday — home run and a double — but his parents missed it. They decided to not drive to Clearwater because of the bad weather. Murphy said he’s naturally hoping there will be more big games for his folks to see.
• Mark Montgomery is scheduled to make his spring debut today. Tom Kahnle is also scheduled to pitch today. Those are two of the organization’s top relief prospects. Easier to get excited about those two than about seeing Cody Eppley, who will also get an inning today.
• Vidal Nuno, Ivan Nova, Corey Black and Bryan Mitchell threw bullpens today.
• Today’s second string: C Francisco Cervelli, 1B Kyle Roller, 2B Jose Pirela, SS Cito Culver, 3B Walter Ibarra, LF Ramon Flores, CF Adonis Garcia, RF Tyler Austin, DH Kyle Higashioka.
• Today’s scheduled relievers: Cody Eppley, Matt Daley, Tom Kahnle, Francisco Rondon, Mark Montgomery, Josh Spence, Preston Claiborne.
• Tomorrow is a split squad situation, with most of the big leaguers staying in Tampa.
• Tomorrow’s travel squad:
Pitchers: Dellin Betances, Corey Black, Shane Greene, Brett Marshall, Zach Nuding, Mike O’Brien, Kelvin Perez, Ryan Pope
Catchers: Francisco Arcia, Francisco Cervelli, J.R. Murphy, Austin Romine
Infielders: Greg Bird, Cito Culver, Walter Ibarra, Corban Joseph, Luke Murton, Jayson Nix, Eduardo Nunez
Outfielders: Zoilo Almonte, Tyler Austin, Matt Diaz, Ramon Flores, Adonis Garcia, Melky Mesa
Associated Press photo