- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Thursday morning notes: Rivera throws simulated game
Posted By Chad Jennings On February 28, 2013 @ 10:35 am In Misc | 497 Comments
Mariano Rivera threw a simulated game this morning. From a pitching standpoint, that’s basically the same thing as throwing live batting practice, but a sim game gave Rivera a chance to test his knee with some fielding. He came through the workout with no problem, then went to do some running. Seems like the knee held up just fine.
CC Sabathia also faced hitters this morning. I didn’t see all of Sabathia’s session, but I did see him face Ronnier Mustelier, who took some pretty ugly swings. Not sure whether that says more about Sabathia or Mustelier.
Still no word on when either Rivera or Sabathia will get in a game.
• Pretty quiet clubhouse this morning. Roughly half of the team took an early bus to Kissimmee to face the Astros. Everyone else was kind of floating in and out of the room. The early spring buzz has definitely died down. Just all part of the routine today.
• Status quo on Phil Hughes. Not sure when we’ll know anything new on him.
• Dellin Betances and Clay Rapada are each scheduled to pitch in a game for the first time this spring.
• Boone Logan will pitch a simulated game tomorrow.
• A few guys are up from the minor league complex to provide some depth. In Tampa, utility man Casey Stevensen will be on the bench and Craig Heyer will be in the bullpen. Doesn’t look like either one is scheduled to play. They’re here just in case. In Kissimmee, Kevin Mahoney is scheduled to play third base off the bench. Infielder Reegie Corona and pitchers Schaeffer Hall and Graham Stoneburner also made that trip as reserves.
• Matt Tracy and Shawn Kelley each threw simulated games this morning. They were on the field before Sabathia and Rivera. The hitters were Kyle Roller, Addison Maruszak and Ronnier Mustelier.
• Today’s bullpens: Jose Ramirez, Adam Warren and Andy Pettitte.
• Home second string: C Bobby Wilson, 1B Kyle Roller, 2B none, SS Addison Maruszak, 3B Rob Segedin, LF Thomas Neal, CF Slade Heathcott, RF Ronnier Mustelier, DH Gary Sanchez
• Home relievers: David Aardsma, Clay Rapada, Branden Pinder, Juan Cedeno, Chase Whitley, Jim Miller
• Road second string: C Austin Romine, 1B Greg Bird, 2B Walter Ibarra, SS Cito Culver, 3B Kevin Mahoney, LF Ramon Flores, CF Adonis Garcia, RF Tyler Austin, DH Francisco Arcia
• Road relievers: Dellin Betances, Mike O’Brien, Shane Greene, Kelvin Perez, Corey Black, Zach Nuding
• Blue Jays lineup for today’s home game:
Jose Reyes SS
Melky Cabrera LF
Jose Bautista RF
Edwin Encarnacion 1B
Colby Rasmus CF
Brett Lawrie 3B
J.P. Arencibia DH
Henry Blanco C
Maicer Izturis 2B
RHP Brandon Morrow
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/02/28/thursday-morning-notes-rivera-throws-simulated-game/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Rivera22.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Yankees1.jpg