There was no lineup posted in the Yankees clubhouse this morning. When Joe Girardi was asked whether Derek Jeter would be playing, he declined to answer. He said he wanted this morning to be all about Mariano Rivera.
As expected, Rivera was classy and humble during this morning’s press conference. He said he simply doesn’t have the desire to keep doing all the travel and the hotels. He’s ready to be home. He would have retired at the end of last season if not for the injury.
“The thing that I have, the little gas I have left, is everything for this year,” he said. “After that, I’ll empty everything. There’s nothing left. I did everything and I’m proud of it. That’s why it’s time.”
Rivera said he came to the decision before he arrived in spring training, and he personally informed the Steinbrenner familiy, Joe Girardi, Brian Cashman and a few teammates.
“The best thing for me that happened on a baseball field — actually the best thing that happened — was the Lord blessing me with this uniform,” Rivera said. “He put the New York Yankees uniform on me. I’ve been thankful for every minute that I’ve worn this uniform, until the day that I retire. The last day that I throw my last pitch, I will be more proud than anything not because of what we accomplished, but what the Lord allowed me to wear, a New York Yankees uniform.”
Derek Jeter DH
Ichiro Suzuki RF
Eduardo Nunez SS
Juan Rivera 1B
Jayson Nix 3B
Matt Diaz LF
Chris Stewart C
Melky Mesa CF
Corbin Joseph 2B
• There’s actually good news on the injury front today. Dave Robertson, Phil Hughes and David Aardsma each threw bullpens this morning. All three said they felt fine. Robertson laughed at the fact that his shoulder was getting any attention at all.
• For Hughes, a 10-pitch bullpen wasn’t much, but it was a significant step back from his bulging disc. “Good, no issues,” he said. He’ll throw 25-30 pitches in the bullpen on Monday. He’s obviously getting closer. No setbacks so far.
• Aardsma had a slight groin injury but said today’s bullpen was perfectly fine. “Went well,” he said. “I don’t know what the next step is, but it went well.”
• Matt Tracy, Brett Marshall and Ivan Nova also threw sides today. Nik Turley threw a sim game facing Ramon Flores and Luke Murton.
• CC Sabathia has a sim game tomorrow. He’ll face Zoilo Almonte and Corbin Joseph.
• Haven’t seen a set of backups. With Girardi not posting the lineup while the clubhouse was open, some of the details weren’t available today. I do know Rivera is scheduled to pitch out of the bullpen.
• Tomorrow’s travel squad
Pitchers: Dellin Betances, Preson Claiborne, Tom Kahnle, Mark Montgomery, Vidal Nuno, Kelvin Perez, David Phelps, Branden Pinder, Francisco Rondon, Josh Spence, Chase Whitley
Catchers: Francisco Cervelli, J.R. Murphy, Austin Romine
Infielders: Dan Johnson, Corbin Joseph, Addison Maruszak, Luke Murton, Jayson Nix, Jose Pirela, Kevin Youkilis
Outfielders: Zoilo Almonte, Matt Diaz, Ramon Flores, Brett Gardner, Slade Heathcott, Melky Mesa, Ronnier Mustelier, Thomas Neal, Juan Rivera
Associated Press photo