- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Saturday morning notes: “Couldn’t have turned out better for me”
Posted By Chad Jennings On March 16, 2013 @ 10:23 am In Misc | 12 Comments
Brennan Boesch has options remaining, which means the Tigers had options on the table. They could have kept him on the big league roster in a bench role, or they could have shipped him back to Triple-A Toledo for the first time since 2010 — when he played just 15 minor league games — but they instead released Boesch into a better situation.
“They did me a favor,” Boesch said. “That goes without saying that I’m thankful for them to have done that. They could have done a lot of other different things probably, but here I am now in a Yankees uniform. Couldn’t have turned out better for me.”
With a new locker that still has no name plate, Boesch settled into the Yankees clubhouse this morning and he’ll be in the lineup this afternoon. He has played eight games at Yankee Stadium in his career, and he’s hit .367/.375/.533 in those games. He likes the idea of looking out to that short right-field porch rather than the expansive outfield of Detroit.
“It’s pretty attractive,” Boesch said. “Comerica is a little different story. Obviously you have to stay within yourself and can’t get too greedy, but I’ve always loved playing there. It’s just a fact. I don’t know what my numbers are in New York, but I’ve always loved playing against the Yankees and playing in New York, it’s definitely my favorite place to play.”
Eventually, the Yankees will have options on the table. They’ll be able to option Boesch to Triple-A if there’s no room for him after Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira come off the disabled list, but for now, Boesch seems like a near lock to open the season as a big league regular.
“I’ve always been somebody that figured that your talent will dictate your status, and you’ve got to earn the opportunity to play,” he said. “That’s what I plan on doing, earning the opportunity.”
• Boone Logan threw a simulated game this morning and said he hopes his next appearance will be in a real game. He said his left elbow feels much better than it did a week or two ago. He can still feel that there’s something in there, but he said it’s not pain, just an awareness that there’s still some sort of inflammation. The better news is that he doesn’t feel it at all when he pitches. “Zero, zilch,” he said.
• According to the lineup, Boesch will be wearing No. 58.
• Interesting the Brett Gardner is batting seventh today. He has been a regular leadoff hitter all spring, including in games with Derek Jeter and Ichiro Suzuki both in the lineup. Not sure that his move down in the order is a sign of things to come, but it certainly could be.
• Boesch has primarily played right field in his career. He said he’s comfortable in left, but based on today’s lineup, I’d guess Ichiro will be the left fielder and Boesch the right fielder until Granderson comes back.
• Phil Hughes and Adam Warren had sides today. Logan faced Ramon Flores and Rob Segedin in his sim game.
• Today’s second string:
HOME: C Bobby Wilson, 1B Luke Murton, 2B none, SS Walter Ibarra, 3B Addison Maruszak, LF Eduardo Sosa, CF Ramon Flores, RF Zoilo Almonte, DH none
AWAY: C Austin Romine, 1B none, 2B none, SS Cito Culver, 3B Corban Joseph, LF Ben Gamel, CF none, RF none, DH none
• Today’s scheduled relievers:
HOME: Mariano Rivera, David Aardsma , Cody Eppley, Shawn Kelley
AWAY: Preston Claiborne, Branden Pinder, Jim Miller, Josh Spence
• Up from minor league camp to be available off the bench:
HOME: C Nick McCoy, C Tyler Blazer, 1B Luke Murton, INF Reegie Corona, 3B Rob Segedin, OF Ramon Flores, OF Eduardo Sosa, RHP Graham Stoneburner, RHP Josh Romanski
AWAY: C Austin Romine, C Hector Rabago, SS Cito Culver, UT Kevin Mahoney, UT Ali Castillo, OF Ben Gamel, OF Neil Medchill, LHP Jeremy Bleich, RHP Tom Kahle, RHP Ryan Pope
• Tomorrow’s travel squad:
Pitchers: Preston Claiborne, Mark Montgomery, Ivan Nova, Dave Robertson, Josh Spence, Matt Tracy
Catchers: Chris Stewart, Bobby Wilson
Infielders: Walter Ibarra, Dan Johnson, Corban Joseph, Jayson Nix, Addison Maruszak, Eduardo Nunez, Jose Pirela, Gil Velazquez, Kevin Youkilis
Outfielders: Zoilo Almonte, Brennan Boesch, Matt Diaz, Melky Mesa, Thomas Neal, Juan Rivera
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/03/16/saturday-morning-notes-boesch-arrives/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Boesch.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/5dc871d1f3133d082c0f6a7067004bbf.jpg