The Yankees have their first true cut from big league camp.
Matt Diaz has been released. The veteran was in camp on a minor league deal trying to win a spot as a right-handed platoon outfielder, but he hit just .200/.250/.200. For a few weeks now, it’s seemed that Juan Rivera, Melky Mesa and possibly Thomas Neal were ahead of Diaz in the competition for a bench spot, and that was before the Yankees signed Ben Francisco and Brennan Boesch to add more outfield options.
Brian Cashman said earlier this winter that Diaz was an all or nothing minor league signing who would not be asked to actually report to minor league camp. He was either going to make the team or be released.
• Mark Teixeira has arrived in Yankees camp. He showed up today and will stay with the team through the rest of spring training. He said he still hasn’t been cleared to begin one-handed baseball activities. Perhaps most significantly, he clarified that his wrist injury is to the tendon sheath, not the tendon itself. Jose Bautista also damaged his tendon sheath last season, but Bautista tried to rush back and ultimately needed season-ending surgery. Teixeira said he’s expecting to wear a brace for a month before doing anything with his damaged right wrist.
• Although Joe Girardi remains optimistic that the Yankees will get Boone Logan back in time for Opening Day, he seems less certain about Clay Rapada who is shut down with shoulder bursitis. Rapada is playing catch but there seems to be no expectation of him getting in a game any time soon.
• Girardi said he doesn’t necessarily need to carry two lefties in the bullpen, which means Rapada could be replaced — if necessary — by one of the experienced right-handers. “You don’t (need another lefty) because you look at Chamberlain, Robertson and Mo, thye’re used to getting lefties out,” Girardi said.
• Logan’s next outing will not be a regular game. He’s scheduled to throw another simulated game on Tuesday. If you’re curious, he’s supposed to face Corban Joseph and Melky Mesa.
• Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera will pitch in a minor league game tomorrow. Phil Hughes will throw a simulated game tomorrow. Otherwise, tomorrow looks like a full day off in big league camp.
• Chamberlain and CC Sabathia were scheduled to throw sides today.
• Today’s second string: C Bobby Wilson, 1B Addison Maruszak, 2B Jose Pirela, SS Walter Ibarra, 3B Gil Velazquez, LF none, CF none, RF Neil Medchill
• Today’s scheduled relievers: Dave Robertson, Matt Tracy, Mark Montgomery, Chris Bootcheck, Chase Whitley
• Off the bench from the minors: RHP Chris Bootcheck, RHP Chase Whitley, RHP Manny Barreda, RHP Dan Mahoney, C Kyle Higashioka, UT Casey Stevenson, OF Exicardo Cayones, OF Shane Brown
Associated Press photos