No workouts listed for Derek Jeter today. He’s obviously not in the lineup, and he’s not listed in any batting practice groups. Looks like he’s getting a full day off in the wake of yesterday’s stiffness and inflammation.
For today’s game, it’s Eduardo Nunez getting another start at shortstop, and if Jeter’s setback lingers through Opening Day, I have to think Nunez would remain the go-to fill-in. Jayson Nix is obviously available, but the Yankees seem happy with the defensive strides Nunez has made this spring.
Jeter was nowhere to be found in the Yankees clubhouse this morning, so there’s no real update on him just yet. I’m guessing/hoping he’ll talk at some point today so we can get a sense of how his ankle is feeling today. For now, all we know is that today looks like a day off.
• Clay Rapada is still limited to playing catch because of bursitis in his left shoulder. He said he’s going to try to throw a flat-ground bullpen of sorts this weekend. The Yankees have acknowledged that there’s a chance Rapada won’t be ready to open the season.
• Center field prospect Mason Williams is up for the day. He’s scheduled to play center field off the bench.
• Speaking of the outfield, Addison Maruszak gets a turn in right field today. The utility infielder hasn’t played much outfield in his career, but he has some experience out there — as well as at catcher — and will get out there today. Ronnier Mustelier is also returning to the outfield this afternoon.
• Joba Chamberlain is scheduled to pitch for a second straight day.
• Phil Hughes is throwing a side today.
• Second string: C Bobby Wilson, 1B Dan Johnson, 2B Corban Joseph, SS Gil Velazquez, 3B Jose Pirela, LF Ronnier Mustelier, CF Mason Williams, RF Addison Maruszak
• Scheduled relievers: Dave Robertson, Joba Chamberlain, Cody Eppley, Mark Montgomery, Josh Spence
• As expected, the Red Sox aren’t exactly bringing their A team
Brock Holt 2B
Daniel Nava 1B
Jackie Bradley Jr. CF
Mauro Gomez DH
Mike Carp LF
David Ross C
Ryan Sweeney RF
Drew Sutton 3B
Jose Iglesias SS
LHP Felix Doubront
Associated Press photos