- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Saturday morning notes: Jeter expected to DH in minor league game
Posted By Chad Jennings On March 23, 2013 @ 10:19 am In Misc | 11 Comments
The Yankees who are not making today’s trip to Lakeland just walked out of the dugout and into right field for morning stretch. When they’re loose, the players will go through the usual workout routine — batting practice, fielding drills — before most of them call it a day.
Derek Jeter will still have more work to do.
“He’s going to go out and take ground balls,” Joe Girardi said. “We’ll see how he is. If he’s OK, we’ll have him probably DH in a minor league game.”
As I understand it, the minor league staff is fully expecting Jeter to be there. It will be a surprise if Jeter doesn’t get a few minor league at-bats today. Girardi said he’s still not sure when Jeter will get in the field again, but he does want Jeter to play shortstop in back-to-back games before feeling comfortable putting him on the Opening Day roster.
“I think that’s probably important to do,” Girardi said. “See how he physically feels and how he’s moving. Does he come back sore, to the point where he was the other day (against) Philadelphia. He just really had a hard time getting loose. I think we need to see that.”
• Brennan Boesch went to the doctor. The vague diagnosis as given by Girardi: “He’s OK.” The plan is for Boesch to sit out today and tomorrow, plus the Monday off day, before playing either Tuesday or Wednesday.
• Jeter is jogging during conditioning drills, if that means anything.
• David Adams is scheduled to play in a Triple-A game today. It will be his first game of the spring.
• Girardi on the catching situation: “I would say we’re a little bit clearer. We still have this last week to evaluate it. I don’t necessarily have an exact plan how I want to do it. I think during the season, you’ve got to see how these guys are doing basically, how it’s working out on a daily basis before we really jump into it.”
• Girardi said he doesn’t expect to make most of the roster decisions — first base, right-handed outfielder, etc. — until the Army exhibition game, two days before the season opener.
• Ivan Nova, David Phelps, CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda and Phil Hughes are each throwing sides tomorrow. Weird that almost the entire rotation would throw on the same day, but that’s how it’s listed in the clubhouse.
• Today’s second string: C Bobby Wilson, 1B Dan Johnson, 2B Gil Velazquez, SS Addison Maruszak, 3B Jose Pirela, LF Ronnier Mustelier, CF Melky Mesa, RF Thomas Neal
• Today’s scheduled relievers: Cody Eppley, Jim Miller, Josh Spence, Branden Pinder, Shawn Kelley
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/03/23/saturday-morning-notes-jeter-expected-to-dh-in-minor-league-game/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Jeter-6.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Boesch31.jpg