- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Postgame notes: Two hits for Overbay in Yankees win
Posted By Chad Jennings On March 27, 2013 @ 11:06 pm In Misc | 28 Comments
When you’re in camp for a three-day tryout, a two-hit day can carry a lot of weight.
Lyle Overbay went 2-for-5 tonight, getting one hit off a right-hander and one off a lefty. He also played the entire game at first base.
“Try to watch his swings and make the best judgment you can in three or four days,” Joe Girardi said earlier today. “That’s what you have to do, and see from an ability standpoint if he can help you offensively as well. … He does have a good glove, and he’s had a good glove over the years. He can save some stuff for you, there’s no doubt about it.”
Brian Cashman said this afternoon that Overbay would play tomorrow as well. He’s also on the travel list for the upcoming road trip to Washington D.C. and West Point. Based on his Friday out, I’d say Overbay is only going to West Point if he’s made the team.
• Ronnier Mustelier was scratched from tonight’s lineup because of soreness in his knee. He told Girardi that his knee “cracked”  while running in the outfield, but that might be a translation issue. Either way, Mustelier will go for tests tomorrow. Hard to say right now how much this impacts his chances of making the team.
• The Yankees beat the Orioles 11-8 while getting home runs from Brennan Boesch and Ben Francisco. The Vernon Wells signing might be an indication that there’s no spot for Francisco, but don’t forget that the Yankees don’t really have a right-handed DH right now, so there could be a spot for a right-handed bat beyond Juan Rivera. Just something to keep in mind. The homer was one of two hits for Francisco.
• Eduardo Nunez had another error-free night and went 2-for-3 to raise his batting average to .293.
• David Phelps wrapped up spring training with his third win. He has a 4.18 ERA after allowing three runs — all of them coming in one inning — through 5.1 innings. At one point he retired 11 in a row, six on strikeouts. He had nine strikeouts total tonight.
• Good for Nick Goody to finally get in a big league game. He was in camp early this spring, but he was sidelined by a sprained ankle and was sent to minor league camp before he got a chance to pitch. Goody was brought up for the day and pitched a scoreless inning.
• Mason Williams was also up for the day and had a two-run double. … Thomas Neal was 1-for-3 with two walks, two runs and a stolen base. … Another scoreless inning by Preston Claiborne. He’s pretty overlooked with all the other relief prospects in the Yankees system, but he has a 0.84 ERA this spring. … From the don’t-forget-about-me file, Melky Mesa doubled in his only at-bat of the night.
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/03/27/postgame-notes-two-hits-for-overbay-in-yankees-win/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/4267500b62164b0a2d0f6a7067006cb6.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Mustelier-61.jpg
 He told Girardi that his knee “cracked”: https://twitter.com/McCulloughSL/status/317103610544672772