I’m going to head back downstairs to try to talk to Austin Romine after batting practice, but real quickly, here’s video of Joe Girardi discussing the Ivan Nova injury (inflammation of the triceps) and the decision to call up Vidal Nuno, who will move into the bullpen while David Phelps slides into the rotation.
A few other quick notes…
• To make room for Nuno on the 40-man, Derek Jeter has been transferred to the 60-day disabled list.
• Kevin Youkilis hit in the cage earlier today and felt fine. As long as he gets through batting practice with no problem — he’s hitting as I type this sentence — he’ll stay in the lineup. “If I have to make an adjustment after his BP, I will,” Girardi said. “But our hope is that he’s OK.”
• Austin Romine caught bullpens with Hiroki Kuroda and Andy Pettitte earlier today. He’s not in the lineup today, but Girardi said he expects to give Romine fairly regular work. “How he does will probably (determine) how much we use him,” Girardi said.
• Mariano Rivera is probably not available today because of recent workload. “My mind is not to use him today,” Girardi said. “I will talk to him, but my thought is he’s probably not available.”
• Nova and Girardi both seemed a little bit relieved by the inflammation diagnosis. That’s not nearly as bad as it might have been. “It’s negative,” Nova said. “But it’s not that bad.”
Associated Press photo