The LoHud Yankees Blog

A New York Yankees blog by Chad Jennings and the staff of The Journal News


Notes from Cashman conference call

Posted by: Chad Jennings - Posted in Misc on Jun 17, 2013 Print This Post Print This Post | Email This Post Email This Post

Quite a few notes from a lengthy Brian Cashman conference call…

Mark Teixeira• The Yankees were surprised by Kevin Long’s comments about Mark Teixeira being not quite right ever since he came off the disabled list. Cashman said Long had not mentioned any of those concerns during his internal discussions with the team. “It’s alarming in the fact that K-Long would say that to a group of reporters,” Cashman said. In fact, Cashman went on to say that he never had any reports, whatsoever, that Teixeira was having any issues with his wrist aside from the obvious stats. Responding to whether he’s upset with Long, Cashman said: “I think some people are better with the microphone than others.”

• Despite the setback, Cashman said he does not second-guess the Yankees decision to postpone surgery with Teixeira. The Yankees were told he had a 70 percent chance of not needing surgery, and they had to play those odds. “You can’t put him down to do a surgery when the doctors are saying a 30 percent chance of having to have a surgery,” Cashman said. For now, the Yankees are still hoping he won’t need surgery.

• Did Teixeira come back too quickly? “No,” Cashman said. “I think we actually went longer to the point that the player was complaining publicly with it. We actually took a very slow and methodical process here.”

• Cashman expressed what felt like significant concern about Kevin Youkilis’s recurring back injury. “Back issues usually don’t get better,” he said. So why did the Yankees sign Youkilis knowing his history? Cashman said it had to do with Youkilis coming through his offseason physical with flying colors and the “comfort level knowing the White Sox offered him a two-year deal and that’s where he just came from.”

• Cashman said he’s been actively involved in several trade talks and has, at times, felt close to making things happen. Not always massive impact moves, but smaller improvements. “I’m always open for business whether they’re incremental upgrades or significant ones,” he said.

Alex Rodriguez• Michael Pineda will make his next start on Thursday in the Florida State League. He could have pitched Wednesday, but that’s a day game and the Yankees would rather have Pineda pitch at night.

• Alex Rodriguez did three rounds of batting practice on the field today. He also did ground balls to both sides and fielded slow rollers. He will also get simulated at-bats against live pitching tomorrow. “Obviously Alex is doing a lot more stuff (than the other guys),” Cashman said.

• Eduardo Nunez took 30 ground balls on the dirt today. He also did tee and toss and long toss. Is it possible he could be playing before the All-Star break? “I guess it’s possible,” Cashman said.

• Francisco Cervelli did long toss and receiving drills. He’s “maybe” a week to 10 days away from swinging a bat underwater. He won’t be back before mid-July.

• Curtis Granderson will have the pin taken out of his hand on Thursday. He’ll need roughly a week of strength and grip exercises before beginning to swing a bat.

• Derek Jeter did tee and toss and 15 swings of cage batting practice. He also did 20 ground balls with side-to-side movement and throws to first base.

Associated Press photos

Comments

comments

 
 

Sponsored by:
 

Search

    Advertisement

    Follow

    Mobile

    Read The LoHud Yankees Blog on the go by navigating to the blog on your smartphone or mobile device's browser. No apps or downloads are required.

Advertisement

Place an ad

Call (914) 694-3581