Sunday’s are usually quiet mornings at the ballpark, and that’s certainly what this has been. An hour and a half ago, the only players in the clubhouse were Adam Warren and CC Sabathia, while there were the unmistakable sounds of someone taking early batting practice in the indoor cages.
The Yankees had optional batting practice this morning, and right now there’s a pretty large crowd out there taking swings. The current group has Lyle Overbay, Vernon Wells and Zoilo Almonte taking turns.
As for pregame notes…
• Yet again wrapped in controversy and speculation, Alex Rodriguez is scheduled to play another rehab game with High-A Tampa this afternoon, then he’ll move up to Double-A tomorrow. According to Brian Cashman, Rodriguez will join Trenton in Reading. “The reports have been OK,” Joe Girardi said. “Physically he’s doing OK. You just keep rehabbing and trying to lengthen him out, play him a couple of days in a row and see what we have after the 20 days.”
• The Yankees first three starters after the break: Andy Pettitte, Hiroki Kuroda and CC Sabathia. “Making sure CC got a couple extra, Kuroda got a couple extra, (and) Andy got a couple extra,” Girardi said.
• Brett Gardner is available, but Girardi is trying to give him a day off. “Just a day off,” Girardi said. “He’s played every day for us. He’s a little beat up, but he’s available to me. I just thought, if I can buy him an extra day, I’ll buy him that extra day.”
• After being out sick yesterday, Derek Jeter is supposed to be back with the team today. Not playing, obviously, but he’ll be at the ballpark. “We’re really not going to evaluate him probably until Thursday or Friday,” Girardi said.
• David Phelps is scheduled to join Jayson Nix in Tampa next week. “Hopefully he’ll start throwing sometime this week,” Girardi said.
• With the break coming up, Ivan Nova is available out of the bullpen today. “In case (this is) some really long game,” Girardi said.
Associated Press photo