- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Off day notes and links
Posted By Chad Jennings On August 29, 2013 @ 9:47 pm In Misc | 64 Comments
• It was actually a pretty good day for the Yankees. Not only did Eduardo Nunez get good news, but the Rays were shutout at home and the A’s blew a late lead in Detroit. The Yankees managed to pick up a half game on both wild card leaders without playing a game. They trail by five games heading into this crucial home stand. Right now the Indians and Red Sox are also losing (of course, it’s the Orioles who are beating the Sox).
• A few quick injury updates from the Post:  Travis Hafner and Zoilo Almonte are doing tee and toss … Michael Pineda has been throwing on the side but it looks like he won’t pitch in another minor league game this season … David Phelps is expected to begin throwing soon. My guess would be that he doesn’t have enough time to actually do anything for the Yankees the rest of the year.
• Scranton/Wilkes-Barre announced today that Dan Johnson has been released from his contract. Have to assume that means he was told there would be no September call-up, and his contract lets him go looking for one. He could legitimately find an opportunity elsewhere. He’s a left-handed bat who’s been pretty productive in Triple-A. Patience and power. Not a bad pinch hit option.
• Kendrys Morales was claimed off waivers this week, but Jon Heyman points out that the 48-hour window to complete a trade has passed, meaning Morales won’t be moved to whoever won the claim.
• Speaking of waiver claims, the Orioles have claimed Michael Morse  from the Mariners. Morse hasn’t hit much this year, but there’s always the chance that he could get hot and give Baltimore a boost at some point this weekend.
• Over at ESPN New York, Andrew Marchand took a look at the upcoming schedule  for all of the teams in the race for the two American League wild card spots. Pretty soft last month for the Indians, who are immediately behind the A’s for the second spot.
Associated Press photo
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/08/29/off-day-notes-and-links-9/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Almonte-3.jpg
 injury updates from the Post:: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/cano_hopes_to_return_vs_u7nwnIa4OQB2FlMv9I1PUN
 the 48-hour window to complete a trade has passed, : https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/373081194000166912
 the Orioles have claimed Michael Morse: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-also-claim-morse-on-trade-waivers-20130829,0,2380646.story
 Andrew Marchand took a look at the upcoming schedule: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/63256/inside-the-sked-will-the-yanks-make-a-run