Just a few quick notes while we wait for tonight’s American League wild card game to get started.
• According to our good friend Wally Matthews, Alex Rodriguez’s hearing will probably last beyond Friday. No word yet on when it would resume if it does in fact go beyond this week.
• On the day that Brian Cashman met with Joe Girardi’s agent, ESPN reported that the Chicago Cubs do have “serious interest” in hiring Girardi to take their managerial opening. Last week, Girardi actually downplayed his connections to the Chicago area, saying he’s not as drawn to the city as he used to be.
• Of course, Ken Rosenthal says the Cubs are also interested in Padres executive — and former Diamondbacks manager — A.J. Hinch, who would have to come out of a front office role to get back in the dugout.
• With Boone Logan heading for free agency, do you want another left-on-left option for next season? There’s a guy named Clay Rapada available. He was just DFA by the Indians.
• The A’s announced that former Yankees starter Bartolo Colon will be their Game 1 starter in the division series. Another familiar name, Freddy Garcia, has been added to the Braves postseason roster. I’m honestly not sure I knew Garcia was still pitching for the Braves. And speaking of playoff roster, for tonight’s game, the Rays are carrying a guy who made his Major League debut in Game 163.
Associated Press photo