- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
A few qualifying offer notes
Posted By Chad Jennings On November 4, 2013 @ 3:22 pm In Misc | 127 Comments
The Yankees have made their qualifying offer decisions. Here are a few other indications about qualifying offers from other teams. A complete list should be announced later today.
• The Yankees have already been linked to Carlos Beltran this winter, and Beltran does seem to be a good fit in right field. Signing him, though, will cost a first-round pick as Beltran has received a qualifying offer from the Cardinals. 
• Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski has made it clear that Detroit will not make any qualifying offers. That’s pretty significant for the Yankees, considering Jhonny Peralta, Joaquin Benoit and Omar Infante could each be a strong fit for the Yankees next season. The Yankees have reportedly already checked on Infante  (though, to be fair, the Yankees tend to check on just about everyone).
• Another potential bullpen fit for the Yankees, Joe Nathan, is also expected to not receive a qualifying offer.  It’s worth remembering that the Yankees gave a qualifying offer to Rafael Soriano, who turned it down and then struggled to get a better deal on the open market. That could impact the way teams and agents view qualifying offers for relievers.
• Also, no qualifying offer for Jarrod Saltalamacchia, but the Red Sox did extend offers to Stephen Drew, Mike Napoli and Jacoby Ellsbury.  Of those three, Drew would seem to be the most obvious Yankees target as a shortstop alternative to Derek Jeter. As for Saltalamacchia, even after a good year, $14.1 million would have been a pretty hefty price for a guy who’s best used as a platoon catcher. No qualifying offer does make him a little easier for the Yankees, if they believe he’s up to their expectations defensively. Napoli doesn’t seem to be a great Yankees fit, and the Ellsbury qualifying offer was an obvious no-brainer.
• Of course, Brian McCann is getting a qualifying offer.  That was pretty much a given as McCann is probably one of the top five free agents this winter. He could be a target for the Yankees if they decided to make a big splash at catcher, which could be more and more likely if Robinson Cano lands elsewhere.
• Ubaldo Jimenez opted out of his contract and will now receive a qualifying offer from the Indians.  At the very least, it’s a nice one-year raise for Jimenez. More likely, though, it’s a little extra baggage as he goes shopping for a multi-year deal after a strong season. Another starting pitcher who seems to be in line for a qualifying offer is Ervin Santana . He had a nice year in Kansas City, and actually should be considered one of the better starting pitchers out there this winter.
• No qualifying offer for Josh Johnson. Just a few years ago, Johnson would have been a no-brainer for a qualifying offer or a multi-year deal. Now he’s a massive question mark heading into the offseason.
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/11/04/early-qualifying-offer-notes/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Beltran has received a qualifying offer from the Cardinals. : https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/397440502401728512
 Detroit will not make any qualifying offers. : https://twitter.com/Chris_Iott/status/397129386702295040
 reportedly already checked on Infante: http://nypost.com/2013/11/03/if-cano-bolts-yankees-might-turn-to-infante/
 not receive a qualifying offer.: https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/396392539231502338
 did extend offers to Stephen Drew, Mike Napoli and Jacoby Ellsbury.: https://twitter.com/Sean_McAdam/status/397455037976571904
 Brian McCann is getting a qualifying offer.: https://twitter.com/timdierkes/status/397372060273364992
 will now receive a qualifying offer from the Indians.: https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/397411807767166976
 in line for a qualifying offer is Ervin Santana: https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/397433250458509312
 No qualifying offer for Josh Johnson. : http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/josh-johnson-not-getting-qualifying-offer.html