· Can’t imagine you were too concerned about this, but Joe Torre will officially be wearing a Yankees cap on his Hall of Fame plaque. The Hall announced the cap selections today. The interesting ones are Tony LaRussa and Greg Maddux, who chose to have no logo on their plaques. Of course Tom Glavine and Bobby Cox will be wearing Braves caps, and Frank Thomas will go in with the White Sox.
· With Masahiro Tanaka in the mix, ESPN now ranks the Yankees rotation as the fifth-best in baseball behind the Tigers, Nationals, Cardinals and Red Sox. From David Schoenfield’s breakdown: “Seven years for Tanaka may prove to be a risky proposition, but he’s an excellent bet for 2014. I listed him third, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the team’s best pitcher from the get-go.”
· Nothing new here, but the Baltimore Sun has a full breakdown of Brian Roberts’ recent interview with the YES Network. Roberts saying that lots of players have dreamed of wearing a Yankees uniform at some point apparently didn’t sit too well in Baltimore.
· Speaking of Baltimore, Dan Connolly tweets that the Orioles might not be quite as close to a deal with Fernando Rodney as previously reported. Connolly says the Orioles have shown interest in Rodney, but the two sides haven’t spoken in weeks. Still seems like the kind of signing that makes some sense.
· Oh, and that deal between the Brewers and Matt Garza, apparently that’s not done yet either. The Brewers themselves actually sent a tweet saying negotiations are ongoing and there is no deal yet. Weird.
· Fanning the flames of the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry, Jonny Gomes played the “scoreboard” card when asked about the Yankees offseason additions. “People can go out and sign whoever they want right now,” Gomes told ESPN Boston. “Boxing rules, we still have the belt. Whoever else, reloads. Kind of flattering a little bit, you know, that [a division] rival has to reload as much as they did.”
· What a weird life Alex Rodriguez lives. Imagine doing something goofy like posing with a mariachi band, only to have a photo hit the internet and become a kind of joke. I would have sat in with that band, especially if I was on vacation! “You fellas know any Dylan? Idiot Wind, on my count. One, two…”
Associated Pres photo