I would try to write something really meaningful here at the top, but I’m pretty sure you’re only going to care about the video above.
Today the Yankees starters threw their sides in the old bullpen next to the main field here at Steinbrenner Field. The access there is much, much better, so I was able to get some video of Masahiro Tanaka. The sunlight was brutal and made it tough to set the lighting just right, but it should give you some idea of what the ball looks like coming out of Tanaka’s hand.
He was throwing right next to Hiroki Kuroda, with CC Sabathia a couple of mounds away.
As for other notes from this morning…
· Brendan Ryan was here this morning, and he talked a lot about the idea of filling in at shortstop when Derek Jeter needs a day off. Ryan said he’s expecting quite a few boos from fans who show up expecting to see Jeter play a game in his final season, only to discover Ryan is getting the start that day. Tough situation to be in.
· Asked a Yankees talent evaluator about yesterday’s batting practice sessions over at the Himes complex. A surprising name that stood out over there was Chris Leroux, a tall right-hander in camp on a minor league deal. Apparently his fastball showed some impressive life with good movement. The evaluator said he was reminded of A.J. Burnett (without the same velocity).
· Random arrival today: infielder Yangervis Solarte. I don’t think I’ll ever get to the point where I can spell his name without looking it up.
· For some reason, Francisco Cervelli is not listed in either batting practice group this morning. He is, however, listed for other drills. Cervelli said he’s perfectly fine, no physical issues at all.
· Ivan Nova and Bruce Billings threw live batting practice this morning. Nova pitched to Gary Sanchez, Billings pitched to Pete O’Brien.
· Today’s sides:
CC Sabathia (to Austin Romine)
Masahiro Tanaka (to John Ryan Murphy)
Hiroki Kuroda (to Brian McCann)
David Herndon (to Francisco Cervelli)
· Among the listed guest instructors for this year: Willie Randolph, David Wells, Andy Pettitte, Jorge Posada, Hideki Matsui, Reggie Jackson, Ron Guidry, Goose Gossage
Associated Press photo