- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Wednesday morning notes: Nunez scratched with stomach bug
Posted By Chad Jennings On February 26, 2014 @ 9:59 am In Misc | 160 Comments
Going to make this fairly quick before I get on the road to Bradenton.
Eduardo Nunez has been scratched with some sort of stomach bug. He said he asked the training staff to let him make the trip, but Steve Donohue shut him down for the day. Nunez was in the middle of telling this story at his locker when Derek Jeter overheard from a few feet away. He didn’t say a word, but gave Nunez a look that made it clear he was about to give Nunez a hard time.
“I tried to leave before he sees me,” Nunez said, laughing, knowing what was coming.
Of course, the immediate theory is that Nunez was hanging around with Alfonso Soriano too much.
“Stay away from him,” Joe Girardi said.
· Today is the Yankees first in-game look at new additions Carlos Beltran, Brian McCann and Jacoby Ellsbury. Tomorrow, Derek Jeter will make his spring debut. Girardi said he feels no need to give Jeter extra time off this spring. There are no lingering health concerns, and it’s all about getting Jeter ready (without overplaying him, of course). “I will run this like a normal spring training for him,” Girardi said.
· To replace Nunez in the lineup, Yangervis Solarte will start at shortstop. Addison Maruszak has been called up from minor league camp to play shortstop off the bench.
· The Yankees decided to give Soriano five days of workouts before getting him in a game. This is Day 2. His likely spring debut is Sunday, March 2.
· Speaking of spring debuts, Girardi said Mark Teixeira will likely get in his first game at the end of next week. He didn’t give an exact day.
· After pitching yesterday, Francisco Rondon came into camp feeling sore today. Girardi said he thinks it’s his shoulder, but he’s not positive. “He might be down for a little bit,” Girardi said.
· One other new injury: Matt Daley was scheduled to pitch today but he has a sore calf.
· Injury updates: Nik Turley is in the middle of a seven-day rest period without throwing a baseball. His arm was sore a few days ago, but all tests came back negative. … Tyler Austin’s sore wrist is being reevaluated by a doctor later today. … Jim Miller is back to full health.
· One point of interest for you prospect followers: Adonis Garcia is scheduled to play some third base today. He’s been almost exclusively an outfielder in the minor leagues, but he played the infield before signing, and played quite a bit of third base this winter. Seems to be a kind of wild card possibility at various positions this season. Probably heading to Triple-A.
· Morning live batting practice:
With Scott Sizemore and Ramon Flores hitting
Fred Lewis (to John Ryan Murphy)
Dan Burawa (to Pete O’Brien)
Michael Pineda (to Francisco Cervelli)
Manny Banuelos (to Gary Sanchez)
· Bullpen sessions at Steinbrenner Field
Adam Warren (to Pete O’Brien)
Masahiro Tanaka (to Francisco Cervelli)
Hiroki Kuroda (to Gary Sanchez)
CC Sabathia (to John Ryan Murphy)
· Batting practice groups at Steinbrenner Field
Group 1: Derek Jeter, Brian Roberts, Alfonso Soriano, Ichiro Suzuki
Group 2: Francisco Cervelli, Brett Gardner, Mark Teixeira
Group 3: Gary Sanchez, Kelly Johnson, Brendan Ryan, Scott Sizemore
· Today’s second string: C Austin Romine, 1B Jose Gil, 2B Jose Pirela, SS Addison Maruszak, 3B Adonis Garcia, LF Antoan Richardson, CF Mason Williams, RF Zoilo Almonte, DH Francisco Arcia
· Today’s scheduled relievers: Bruce Billings, Dellin Betances, Jose Ramirez, Chase Whitley (Matt Daley was listed but he’s now hurt; Chris Leroux, Preston Claiborne and Cesar Cabral listed as emergency backups. Assume one of them could pitch in Daley’s place)
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2014/02/26/wednesday-morning-notes-nunez-scratched-stomach-bug/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Nunez-2.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Jeter1-3.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Pineda-3.jpg