- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Wednesday morning notes: Preparing for Panama
Posted By Chad Jennings On March 12, 2014 @ 10:02 am In Misc | 109 Comments
On the big board in the Yankees clubhouse — where team announcements and batting practice group and travel squads are posted each day — there’s a new addition to the schedule.
Players going to Panama will leave at 6 p.m. tomorrow.
The plan is for Mariano Rivera to meet the team down there. He’s not expected to be in Yankees camp tomorrow, and he’s not expected to be on the team plane when it leaves. It will be, instead, just the guys going down to play in those exhibition games against the Marlins. Most, if not all, of the guys going to Panama are staying home for tomorrow’s split squad games. Should make it easier to pack up and hit the road that evening.
Believe it or not, the travel time for Panama might have been the most exciting thing happening in the clubhouse this morning.
· Brendan Ryan continues to downplay the significance of his injury. He said he feels fine after taking some light swings yesterday. Although it’s been described as an oblique injury, Ryan said it’s really in his lower back. “It doesn’t feel obliquish,” Ryan said. In fact, Ryan said he doesn’t feel it all at this point.
· Tyler Austin has progressed to hitting flips in the cage (basically tee and toss). Right wrist still feels good.
· Slade Heathcott said he continues to do more running and hitting. Pretty much the same stuff he was doing a few days ago. No massive increase in his workload, but not significant setback either. Kind of a no news is good news situation. Heathcott has known for a while that the Yankees were planning to move slowly with his recovery from knee surgery.
· Jose Campos is scheduled to pitch in today’s game. It will be his spring debut. The Yankees limited his game-by-game workload last season and have moved slowly with him this spring. He had elbow issues two years ago, but he was added to the 40-man this spring. Still has the potential to be a pretty high-end talent.
· Dellin Betances is throwing a simulated game today. He’ll pitch to Pete O’Brien and face Jose Pirela and Francisco Arcia.
· Ervin Santana is off the market.  He’s signed with the Braves, who have run into some unexpected rotation needs this spring.
· The Yankees will bring a bunch of guys up from minor league camp to help fill the roster while roughly half of the guys in big league camp head to Panama. Those daily call-ups will actually start tomorrow with the split-squad game in Clearwater. Pitchers Tyler Webb and Pat Venditte are coming up for the day, as are position players Wes Wilson (C), Rob Refsnyder (2B), Carmen Angelini (SS), Rob Segedin (3B), Ali Castillo (UT), Ben Gamel (LF) and Taylor Dugas (RF). The positions listed are exactly as they were listed on the travel sheet, so I assume the Yankees are planning to have those guys play those specific positions tomorrow.
· Tomorrow’s travel squad to Clearwater:
Pitchers: Danny Burawa, Preston Claiborne, Shane Greene, Fred Lewis, Bryan Mitchell, Mark Montgomery, Ivan Nova
Catchers: Francisco Arcia, Francisco Cervelli, Pete O’Brien, Austin Romine
Infielders: Kelly Johnson, Scott Sizemore, Yangervis Solarte, Mark Teixeira
Outfielders: Jacoby Ellsbury, Ramon Flores, Ichiro Suzuki, Mason Williams
· Today’s second string: C Austin Romine, 1B Jose Gil, 2B Zelous Wheeler, SS Dean Anna, 3B Jose Pirela, LF Yangervis Solarte, CF Antoan Richardson, RF Adonis Garcia, DH John Ryan Murphy
· Today’s scheduled relievers: Shawn Kelley, Jose Campos, Robert Coello, Yoshinori Tateyama, Fred Lewis
· Batting practice groups:
Group 1: Derek Jeter, Carlos Beltran, Brian Roberts, Alfonso Soriano, Ichiro Suzuki
Group 2: Russ Canzler, Kelly Johnson, Mason Williams, Francisco Cervelli
Group 3: Zoilo Almonte, Eduardo Nunez, Scott Sizemore, Austin Romine
Group 4: Francisco Arcia, Adonis Garcia, Zelous Wheeler, John Ryan Murphy
Group 5: Antoan Richardson, Yangervis Solarte, Jose Pirela, Jose Gil
Group 6: Ramon Flores, Corban Joseph, Francisco Arcia, Pete O’Brien, Gary Sanchez
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2014/03/12/wednesday-morning-notes-preparing-panama/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Rivera1-3.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Ryan-2.jpg
 Ervin Santana is off the market.: https://twitter.com/ajcbraves/status/443712594512060416
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Ichiro.jpg