- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Pregame notes: “There’s really nothing else for me to do”
Posted By Chad Jennings On April 19, 2014 @ 5:59 pm In Misc | 43 Comments
Joe Girardi said he wants to talk to Mark Teixeira face-to-face before making any sort of official move, but it seems clear that the Yankees plan to have their first baseman back in the lineup tomorrow. Teixeira went 2-for-4 in this morning’s extended spring training game, and that should be his final step back from a strained hamstring.
“I’ve had a lot of good work in New York and here, so there’s really nothing else for me to do,” Teixeira said.
Teixeira said he would be at Tropicana Field for tonight’s game, if only so he could talk to Girardi get an official plan for tomorrow. As far as he knows, he should be activated, and Girardi has basically said as much.
“Obviously we feel that he’s ready to go,” Girardi said. “We’ll talk about it tonight. I want to talk to him when he gets here, see how he’s feeling and then we’ll go from there.”
Teixeira hurt himself in just the fourth game of the season, but if he’s back tomorrow, he will have missed the minimum 15 days while on the disabled list. Dave Robertson is also on track to miss just 15 days. And Carlos Beltran is back in the lineup just two days after a nasty spill over the short wall here in foul territory. Could be better, obviously, but could be much worse.
“I think it’s been good for the wrist, I do,” Teixeira said. “Spring training was long and grueling and I definitely didn’t want to take 15 days off, but I take a positive in everything that happens. And that’s the positive that I’ll take from this is that my wrist got stronger.”
· Matt Daley got here around 2 p.m. and will be available tonight. He last pitched on Thursday, but had four days off before that. He said he actually was pushing the Triple-A team to let him go back-to-back games, which would have meant pitching last night and possibly not getting today’s call-up. “He competes really well,” Girardi said. “He has good command. He throws strikes. He attacks hitters. He threw well for us last September. He had a pretty good spring training for us, so that’s why we went and got him.”
· On the decision to DFA Cesar Cabral: “We knew we needed a pitcher today,” Girardi said. “And we’re going to need some pitching help tomorrow as well. We decided to make the move. It’s tough. You feel for the kid. He’s given you everything he’s got, and he had some command issues last night. We just got put in kind of a tough situation, so we made a move.”
· Vidal Nuno is still scheduled to start tomorrow’s game.
· Girardi said the only reliever he doesn’t expect to have available tonight is Adam Warren because of last night’s workload. Everyone else should be available, including David Phelps, who only has a bruise after last night’s comebacker.
· Brendan Ryan did not play in today’s extended spring training game because of some mild tightness in his hamstring. He instead took six simulated at-bats so that he wouldn’t have to run. Girardi said he considers it a very, very minor setback. “His hamstring was a little tight I think, but that’s probably normal,” Girardi said. “I think all guys probably go through it in spring training. We thought we’d be cautious and say, just take your at-bats and don’t run.”
· Regular day off for Derek Jeter. He wasn’t going to play tomorrow’s day game after a night game, so the Yankees decided to give him tonight off because they’re facing a right-handed starter. It’s easier to use Dean Anna in this game and save Jeter for tomorrow against a lefty.
· Relevant leading into tomorrow’s roster decision when Teixeira is activated: Scott Sizemore confirmed that he has an option remaining, meaning he could be sent down to Triple-A. Anna also has an option.
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2014/04/19/pregame-notes-121/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Teixeira-7.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Daley.jpg